Re: [Nmh-workers] Replace mh-format?

2005-12-22 11:55:38
In message <9025.1135276310@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, Michael Richardson writes:

  I vote for replacing it.

  Perhaps NOT with Tcl  --- I've done a lot of Tcl embedding, and I'm
generally not satisified with it.  I would look at guile, but I don't
know it enough.

I have some doubts about replacing it (but as I am not a nmh developer
I will _not_ vote).

I like mh-format because it is self-contained in MH/nmh.  nmh does not
require additional software that is not under the control of the nmh
developers (e.g., Tcl).  I like MH because it does not have dependencies
on third party software packages whose future changes are difficult to
guess and/or manage.

I agree, mh-format can be improved, but replacing it with a full-featured
scripting language is a bit overkill, though.  We really need a scripting
language as Tcl to provide format strings to nmh commands?

Cheers,
Igor.