Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: Replace mh-format?

2005-12-22 17:44:19
Comment #1:

On 22 December 2005 at 14:57, Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:
Which gives me another idea for nmh from MH-E: create a width format
that uses the widest value in the range given to it.

I'm not clear what you mean by "the range given to it", Bill.
But your point gave me a related (I think?) idea.

The -width option in scan(1) can be a pain.  The manpage says:

   The switch -width columns may be used to specify the width of
   the scan line.  The default is to use the width of the terminal.

When people design complex scan format files -- or format files that
are used to extract data from a message (not intended to be displayed
on the terminal) -- they have to decide how many characters will be
in the output.  Because email addresses, subjects, etc. all vary in
width, these pre-set width limits can be a pain.  One example of
this is the scan.more format file in
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/mh/mhstr.htm#index19 .

I'd like to see the -width option modified to have an "unlimited"
setting, maybe "-width 0", that outputs all of whatever escapes
we specify.  (Of course, this could could produce quite a bit of
output with the %{body} escape... let the coder beware... :)

Comment #2:

The %{body} escape is handy; it lets you see the first few words of
a message in a scan listing.  But it was designed before multipart
MIME messages.  Now the scan listings often look like this:

  869 12/15 To:"Stark, Sandr  Re: Ireland via Iceland<<This is a multi-part

I'd like to see a new componemt escape, maybe %{bodyt} or something,
that shows the first body text past the MIME body header.  That text
might be base64-encoded gibberish, but that's no worse than what we
see now...

Jerry