[Nmh-workers] Replace mh-format?

2005-12-22 11:04:45
On 21 December 2005 at 14:08, pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote
"Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0":

So what exactly are the plans for 2.0?
Anybody else got pet projects they want to share?

My C hacking days are long past, so I can only suggest something;
I can't implement it.

I hope John Romine -- who did MH maintenance at UC Irvine for years
-- won't mind my repeating something he mentioned to me years ago.
He was thinking about replacing mh-format -- that is, code like:

    %4(msg)%<(cur)+%| %>%<{replied}-%?{x-done} %|>%>

with a scripting language like Tcl, or something else more standard.

I don't know how much thought he'd given to possible complications,
problems, etc.  (I could ask him.  I'm not sure he's on this list?)
A change like that could make nmh a lot simpler for newbies to
understand and could also make mh-format much more flexible and
powerful.  But, of course, it would also mean that everyone --
including users of front-ends like exmh and MH-E -- would have to
update their custom scan format files and other things that use
mh-format.  I dunno if the pain would be worthwhile.  Comments?

Jerry