Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0

2005-12-22 20:00:16
On 22 December 2005 at 14:45, Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
 wrote:
Is there any sane way to refile stuff (say a sequence) and specify what
sequence it winds up in on the target folder?

Here's a halfway answer from refile(1):

   If the "Previous-Sequence" profile entry is set, in addition to  defin-
   ing the named sequences from the source folder, refile will also define
   those sequences for the destination folders.  See mh-sequence  (5)  for
   information concerning the previous sequence.

You could make a front-end script to refile that does the refile
job, then temporarily changes to that folder (with folder -push)
and renames the sequence from <previous-sequence> to whatever you
want (like the "mvseq" I just posted to the list), then uses
folder -pop to go back to the original folder.  I think. ;-)

The Previous sequence is a fine idea when doing MH commands manually;
it's tantamount to !! in a shell, but I'm less fond of the idea of using
it in a script. It might be nice to add an argument to refile that does
essentially what this previous sequence does now in the destination
folder(s), so that the sequence name can be specified dynamically.

Alternatively, or perhaps additionally, a -verbose argument could be
added to refile which causes it to output the message renumberings it
does.

Cheers,

        - Joel