Re: [Nmh-workers] Replace mh-format?

2005-12-22 11:29:26
He was thinking about replacing mh-format -- that is, code like:

   %4(msg)%<(cur)+%| %>%<{replied}-%?{x-done} %|>%>

with a scripting language like Tcl, or something else more standard.

Oddly enough I was thinking about the very same thing a few weeks ago.
Mostly because I was trying to explain to someone else why I wasn't
looking for a new MUA. I *can't* live without the power that mh-format
gives me, and he couldn't come up with a way of doing the same things
I use it for in another MUA. ...

okay, it seems i'm learning a lot today.

exactly what is it about mh-format that's so special, that you
need so badly?  i guess i've never viewed it as anything more
than printf-on-steroids, and so i (with some amount of pain!)
tweak a format file once every year or two.  and usually it's
just to overcome some failing of the default formats, like the
first time my message numbers went over 9999.

what special things do you use it for that can't be done with
another MUA?

paul