Re: [Nmh-workers] What is MH ?

2006-01-11 12:00:02
In message <15439(_dot_)1136980406(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU>, Robert Elz
writes:

Are those planning to extend the MH commands to support IMAP folders
planning to implement some new way to undelete, or change message protections,
etc., or are the mv and chmod (and tar, etc) commands all going to be
extended as well - or is this part of MH just going to be forgotten?

I think that MH can follow the same strategy used in the past.
One of the best features of MH is, in my humble opinion, that it is
simple.  It strictly follows the Unix style: each command does a
single task, and does it well.  A good example is that MH does not
provide a graphical front-end, but there are some being developed
and maintained as parallel projects.

I believe that IMAP support should be done mapping the files in
the mail server on a local in-memory filesystem as MFS, tmpfs,
kernfs or procfs do.

This way, commands should not need to be rewritten.

I certainly would forgot any change that adds superfluous
complexity to the software.  But certainly related software
projects can achieve these goals.

Just my opinion... it is the reason I really like MH.  It is
simple, small, fast and powerful... as Unix!

Cheers,
Igor.