Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Change to mailing list policy

2006-03-07 09:44:11
Ken, I got mailman-discard from SourceForge, and modified it a lot. It
discards the spam in bulk:

 mailman-discard --base http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/admin nmh-workers

Hm.  I looked at this script, and I guess it requires a program called
"curl", which I don't have.  I don't think I really care enough about
this to bother compiling and installing it, especially when it won't
solve my main problem ... spam in my inbox (it just solves the problem
of dealing with the list moderation).

Earl Hood <earl@earlhood.com> writes:

I recommend "discard".  Spammers are known to use originating addresses
of regular people, so you can potentially be the cause of receiving
more spam due to mis-directed bounces.

Unfortunately, this is worse because legitimate posters don't get a
notification that their message didn't get through.

Right, that's my reason for not doing that.  I get the feeling that the
vast majority of spam to the list is using made up addresses ... and
since the previous list policy was "hold", which AFAIK generates an
email to non-list members, we're not making things worse.

Josh Bressers <josh@bress.net> writes:
I'll do it, that policy is insane.

Hardly. Most mailing lists are administered that way for good reason.
You might have just earned yourself a thankless, onerous, task with
that rude response.

Tell me about it.  I've administered a number of mailing lists over the
years ... it wasn't so bad before spam ramped up, but now it's just
draining.  To be honest, I would have done this months ago but when
I last looked I couldn't find the right knob in mailman to change that.
Only recently did I discover how to make mailman do this.

Josh, although you don't deserve it I'll give you another chance to
rethink your request.  If you really want to administrate the mailing
list, contact me privately and I'll switch everything over to you.
One warning: I WON'T take it back once I've given it up.  This includes
moderation of nmh-commits as well; you have to take both or neither
of them (nmh-commits doesn't get nearly as much traffic, though).