Re: [Nmh-workers] mhbuild destroying german Umlauts

2006-08-02 05:01:37
der_wachtmeister@freenet.de wrote:
Browsing through sbr/check_charset.c indicated that the following are valid:
US-ASCII, ISO-8859-<number> or UTF-8. Upper/lower case doesn't seem to matter.

Of course this is all rather mishandled anyway. What we ought to be
doing is letting the user read and compose messages in their local
charset (as defined by LC_CTYPE) and using iconv to automatically
convert to/from whatever charset is required for the email being
read/sent. (These days wanting to send mail in something other
than the local charset is becoming more common as people move to
UTF-8 but still want to read/write messages using legacy encoding
when corresponding with people using older mail clients.)

Did we ever come up with a good plan for this? It's currently
at the top of my 'list of things that annoy me about nmh'...

-- PMM