Re: [Nmh-workers] mhbuild destroying german Umlauts

2006-08-02 09:41:41
Oliver Kiddle wrote:
This can mostly all be done now. I made some changes that are in 1.2
that use iconv for converting encoded headers. These default to LC_CTYPE
where MM_CHARSET is not set. And using mime makes it easy to compose
messages in other charsets.

Really? How do you do that? I had in mind a process where when
you say 'repl' nmh does:
 * convert message being replied to to your local charset
 * quote it as usual to construct the draft
 * you edit in your local charset
 * at some point in sending nmh converts to the charset for sending
 * 'list' at whatnow prompt should display in local charset

but AFAIK this is certainly not 'out of the box' even if it's theoretically
possible to lash together scripts to do it.

For viewing messages, it is easy to add a few profile entries to do the
conversion:
 mhshow-charset-utf-8: csconv utf-8 '%s'
 mhshow-charset-iso-8859-15: csconv iso-8859-15 '%s'
 and so on...

Yes, I have a few of those too. But it's obviously impossible
to put in entries for every charset iconv can cope with.

That isn't perfect, however. One difficulty lies with things like HTML
e-mails - the charset can be in an HTML meta tag instead of the MIME
header. The same can apply to XML files. None of w3c, links, lynx or
html2text seem to cope well with the different charsets.

I think that is really up to the HTML viewer, though.

Would you want to hardcode use of iconv for message bodies within
mhshow?

Yes. For backwards compatibility and oddball stuff you'd want to continue
to support the existing stuff but I think that nmh should just do the
Right Thing without requiring configuration and external utilities.
Ideally, plain old show should do this too. [mhshow has the disadvantage
that you don't get headers plus body in a single pager instance.]

-- PMM