Re: [Nmh-workers] sync'ing an mh mailstore between two machines?

2008-05-21 12:27:20
tethys wrote:
--------

Peter Maydell writes:

Just use rsync to copy the laptop's idea of the situation
onto the desktop again? (And vice-versa in the morning.)

Bleurgh! It's a difficult problem to solve. Probably the best
way is to use a DVCS for your mail store. They're generally
explicitly designed for offline operation and resyncing of
the repository when you get connectivity again.

At this point, I couldn't really recommend anything other
than git, because it's the only one I'm aware of that tracks

well, this thread is certainly becoming more interesting than i
expected it to be.  certainly using git never would have occurred
to me.

there's a very nice file tree syncing tool called "unison" that might
be useful as well -- i hadn't thought of it until peter mentioned rsync.
unfortunately it's no longer under active development, but in my
(limited) experience it works very well:
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

i'll have to think about whether it would be appropriate in this case.

paul