[Nmh-workers] sync'ing an mh mailstore between two machines?

2008-05-21 08:48:16
for lo these many years i've always read my mail on my home
server -- the mail gets delivered to that server, and i "inc" it
into my home directoy directly.  when i'm on the road, i use ssh
to access a login shell on that machine, side-stepping the remote
mail issue.

now, i'm about to find myself in a job situation where it would
be very convenient to be able to read mail on my laptop when
disconnected, primarily during commute time.  i could envision
installing all my mh scripts on the laptop, inc'ing the mail to
the laptop before i leave home.  then i could read while
disconnected, and i'm sure i can figure out how to reply to mail
and have it queued for later delivery.

but then i have the synchronization problem -- i'd like, at the
end of the day, to be able to merge what i've inc'ed/read/deleted/saved
on the laptop back into my home mh mail tree.

has anyone come up with tools to deal with this?  i have some
half-formed ideas surrounding simply refiling all the mail from
the laptop back to the home server at the end of the day, but i'm
not sure how well that will fly -- i'd lose sequences, for
instance.

am i missing something obvious?  as another approach, i know
chris garrigues posted a script (mhaildirsync) which will make
one's mh tree available as a maildir tree, so that most imap
servers can serve it up -- then the laptop could read from there,
but i'm not sure whether that will help in this case.

any brain-storming welcome.  even comments to the effect of "give
up, it's the new millenium, use thunderbird" will be considered.  :-)

paul