Re: [Nmh-workers] 128 byte field name limit in NAMESZ breaks scan(1)

2008-10-21 03:20:33
David Levine wrote:
Mark wrote:
Messages with very long envelope "From" lines break scan(1). This
behavior happens with nmh 1.3 and 1.2.

These messages are typically from mailing lists (Yahoo groups, in
particular ).  The "Subject" field in the scan listing is displayed
as just an asterisk (*) .

I've noticed this, too.  Glad that you tracked it down,
thanks :-)

I think this has been reported on the bug tracking system before.
(https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?14975)

What I want to know is why you have files in your ~/Mail/whatever/
with envelope 'From ' lines in the first place. The usual path
via inc doesn't have them (I think because they are the delimiters
in a mail spool file and so get stripped out as the messages are
split). So perhaps this bug should be fixed by making whatever
path you're using to put messages in the folder strip out the
envelope From as inc does.

-- PMM