'From ' lines (was Re: [Nmh-workers] 128 byte field name limit in NAMESZ breaks scan(1))

2008-10-23 20:47:02
The mh-mail(5) manpage is pretty clear about what the format of files
in an nmh mail directory ought to be. These 'From ' lines simply aren't
valid within it.

If the code writing 'From ' lines is part of nmh we should fix it;
if it's third-party then we should probably identify and document
how to configure that code to write valid nmh files.

Perhaps, as the bug report from 2005 stated, that would break mail
filtering that actually looks at the "From " line. Why strip it
out...it's data about the mail delivery process, and may have some
value to some other process (spam filtering? mail statistics? random
number generation?).

If you want the information you should write it in as an X-Envelope-From:
header or similar.

Isn't the 'From ' line, apart from being a message separator in mbox format,
just the out-of-band sender? This is usually put in a "Return-Path:"
header.

Cheers,

        - Joel