Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: big thanks

2009-01-26 13:18:47
It would be nice if nmh supported SMTP/TLS.

Well, someone just needs to write the code.

Unfortunately, I did a quick look at the nmh code to see
what it may take to add TLS support using OpenSSL.  It
did not look it would be a trivial task.  May require a
considerable rewriting and/or reorganization of code.

Hm.  I just took a VERY quick look at the OpenSSL API tutorial, and
it actually doesn't seem terrible.  I abstracted a lot of buffering
code out when I did the SASL work, so I think with a bit of fiddling
it wouldn't be too bad.  I wouldn't call it "trivial", but I wouldn't
call it terrible.  A Google for "openssl programming" popped up a
few tutorials which covered what is necessary (it looks like you
can ignore 90% of the OpenSSL API).

I'd need to do more research to see if the task can
be done simplier, but have not had the time.  One
possible alternative approach is to write a small proxy
server to bridge nmh with an SMTP/TLS MTS.  I
was hoping someone may have written such a beast,
but I could not find anything when I searched for one
some time back.

Actually, I have a proxy server like that ... except that (as you might
have guessed) it implements SASL :-/

As for testing, Gmail provides free SMTP/TLS service
for those with a gmail account, so setting up a
up a server is not required.

Well, the prime dismotivator is more "eh, I wouldn't use it" more than
anything.  Yes, I know gmail accounts are free, but the last thing I need
is another email account.