Re: [Nmh-workers] Verizon DSL block

2010-01-22 22:07:27
On January 22, 2010 at 17:12, Ken Hornstein wrote:

I'm not really here to debate you on this ... but the _point_
is to prevent zombie PCs from doing final delivery to random sites
on the internet.  It's a lot easier for the ISP to notice, "Hey, you
just tried to send 5000 emails in the space of 2 minutes", if their
mail servers are in the message path.  And many ISPs are doing stuff
like POP-before-SMTP instead of authentication.

Ahh, I misunderstood things.  You are refering to blocking customer
systems from transmitting to any port 25 on the Internet.

On my home network, I run a central sendmail server, and I
have it configured to forward any messages to the ISP servers
for any non-local messages.  If they blocked port 25 to their
mail servers, I would have a problem.

I have no problems with ISPs block 25 for non-business users, but
they should allow port 25 connections into their mail servers from
all customer systems.  Requiring customers to use the newer submission
port assumes a specific home user model (but ISPs may not care
about advanced home users).

--ewh