Re: should nmh be an MTA or an MUA? (Was: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?)

2010-01-28 15:24:35
On January 28, 2010 at 15:35, Ken Hornstein wrote:

Why does nmh have SASL support?  Because I needed, and I wrote the
code.  Why does nmh _not_ have TLS support?  Because no one has written
the code (in more cynical moments, I might say, "Because I _didn't_
need it").  Note that anyone is free to _write_ the code, and it's not
clear to me that it's really all that hard ... but it hasn't happened
yet.

I think the difficulty may depending on the TLS library to use.
When I looked at years ago wrt openssl, it appeared to me that the
work require rewriting I/O stuff in nmh.  Of course, I was not an
expert at the time, but I did not see a quick fix to the problem.

--ewh