Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: should nmh be an MTA or an MUA?

2010-01-28 12:01:06
[2010-01-28 10:28] Earl Hood <earl(_at_)earlhood(_dot_)com>
On January 28, 2010 at 10:55, markus schnalke wrote:

Nmh should work on a mailbox in the local filesystem. Incoming mail
should enter as plain-text through inc. Outgoing mail should leave as
plain-text to an MTA.

Not sure about this statement, especially "plain-text".

MH was written at a time when security considerations were
not given much thought.  I think TLS support for submitting
email to an MTA has become more of an essential function
of MUAs (and the common GUI-oriented MUAs do support this).

I talk about the transfer from nmh's send command to
/usr/sbin/sendmail for example. That means from one local command to
another local command via a pipe. There is no network involved.

The local MTA will then care about encryption and authentication for
the transfer over the network.

I'm not sure it is safe to assume that someone is able
to install and run a third-party program on their local
system to work as a secure submission proxy for nmh.

See it as dependency to the nmh package, like a library.

However, I don't want to discuss against you on how exactly to realize
this. You could probably tell me better. But I want to tell you, that
you should *freely* think about it.

Currently, I mostly hear: ``No it can't be done''.

Doing unusual things is always hard, but nmh is unusual too, and we
all love it because of that.

(Read the SMTP-only decision in ``The Cathedral and the Bazaar''!)

meillo