Re: [Nmh-workers] external MTA (was: nmh @ gsoc?)

2010-01-28 11:55:18
[2010-01-28 09:48] Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>

"markus" == markus schnalke <meillo(_at_)marmaro(_dot_)de> writes:
    markus> Use a simple forwarding MTA (like nullmailer or ssmtp)
    markus> instead.

  okay. That would work for me.
  The work would still be there to essentially:
      a) rip out everything else.
      b) adjust packages such that nullmailer/ssmtp is a dependancy.

Yes.

Note, that I don't think that it is good to do this within a day.
Changes need time. But generally, this is what I think is good.

      c) provide an interface to collect the user's various
         relay authentication tokens and configure said mailer.

The needed data for the configuration would be not different from what
is needed for the nmh send facility. One needs to write a different
file in a different format.

  We have several graphical MUAs that sit on top of it, and I'd like to
see more of them, not fewer.  I do not want thunderbird and all the like
to have to reinvent everything.

But nmh reimplements functionality that is already available in other
software (e.g. MTA), that could be used.

I'm not quite sure, maybe you mean the transition problems. The
``user'' interface of nmh would not change, thus tools on top of nmh
don't need to change. The nmh package would depend on an external tool
(like if it would depend on an external library).

meillo