Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?

2010-01-27 16:39:21
Thanks for the many responses and active discussion.

I agree that MIME support should be improved. For people in
non-English speaking Countries, like me, bad MIME handling is a big
argument against nmh. But also the point of how to handle attachments
in replies should be worked on.

Also, threading is a main point. This must fit into the existing
design.

Hooks (or scripting support) might be a good point too. I can't decide
for me yet. At least, one should give it a try.

TLS seems to be already solved. However, why does nmh need TLS?
Doesn't it delegate mail transfer to an MTA?

IMAP is surely of interest. But I think this should not be the job of
nmh, but of a FUSE layer below, as some already said. There might not
be the danger of too many storage backends, but conceptional, such
stuff does not belong into a MUA. (Because I don't use IMAP, this
would probably not be a good job for me.)

Lyndon said that nmh does not need someone like me to work on it.
Don't get me wrong, I surely don't want to add lots of features. I
don't want to break stuff. I don't think nmh should be changed. In
contrast, I think nmh is great like it is, but there are always things
to work on. This shall be work to support nmh, not to change it or to
blow it up. Nmh bases on the Unix Philosophy -- I am convinced that
this is the right way to design good software.

The development on nmh slowed down much, but nmh is not dead. There
might be few users, but the idea behind nmh is great ... and nmh is
the only MUA to follow this idea. That alone is reason enough.

I see a big chance for nmh in gsoc. Why not go for it?

Appying under NetBSD's umbrella is surely a good way to go. Being an
own mentor organization might make it more difficult to get accepted.
But why not, if there is someone who cares for a good application? In
any case, you have to provide descriptions, a roadmap, a goal, a
vision and similar stuff. Maybe someone has experience.

meillo