Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?

2010-01-25 12:38:46
Why? nmh doesn't need any new features, and the code is stable and
portable.

The best indicator that a chunk of code is mature is when it hasn't been
touched for five years. It ain't broke, so leave it alone.

Uuuhhh ... yeah, okay.  That is certainly ONE possible interpretation.
Another possible (and much more likely) interpretation: no one uses nmh
very much anymore, so no one cares about fixing/improving it.  I don't
know about you, but when I go to look at a software package and I see
the last new release was 5 years ago, my first thought isn't, "Oh, it's
perfect!  That's why they stopped developing it!"; it's "Oh, I guess
that project is dead".

And in case you haven't been paying attention, we just had a user who needed
a feature which was just added within the last year.

Here are some obvious things people have asked about, repeatedly.

- TLS support
- IMAP support (I am not interested in arguing about whether or not this is
  a good idea, "breaks the MH model", or other such nonsense - the
  undeniable truth is that there are people who are interested in it).

Here are some pie-in-the-sky things I would like:

- Some sort of embeddedable language support for components files (I am
  partial to Tcl, but I don't have a strong preference).  Why?  Because
  I'd like to use different headers (like a different "from" line) for
  different mailing lists, and having an embeddable language that would
  be called to write component files would be really useful for that.
- Better handling for MIME parts when doing replies.  For example, telling
  "repl" just to take the text part when replying to multipart message.