Re: should nmh be an MTA or an MUA? (Was: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?)

2010-01-27 19:55:03
Have we not beaten this subject into the ground yet?

Here's where we differ. For me, it's "easier" to configure sendmail, so that
the nmh configuration remains the same in any network environment.

Alright ... so, my answer to this is: So what?

Yes, it's easier for _you_.  Great.  But that doesn't translate to easier
for _everyone_.  We've already seen numerous examples of people providing
legitmate reasons for using the SMTP MTS.  The SMTP MTS is not a new
feature in nmh; it's been there forever.  Clearly people thought it was
useful, even a bazillion years ago.  Both MTS's will continue to be
supported for the foreseeable future.  Anyone is free to configure nmh
however they want to meet their needs.  What, exactly, is the problem here?

And as for it being _easier_ ... well, literally, configuring the SMTP
MTS is as simple as placing this in your .mh_profile:

send:   -server your.mail.server.here -port your.mail.port here

There's already
extensive support in popular MTAs (sendmail, postfix, etc.) for multiple
delivery mechanisms (TLS, POP-before-SMTP, SMTP AUTH, MSA, etc), so
this doesn't need to be duplicated in nmh. I prefer to let the MTA accept mail
from nmh and then do the external transfer for me.

This is a bit disingenuous; of the things you list, only one (TLS)
is not supported by nmh.  And honestly ... POP-before-SMTP?  It's
not like you need to do anything to your client to support that.

I also take objection to your subject line.  This has been hashed
out extensively on this list; when using the SMTP MTS, nmh is _not_
acting as a MTA, it is not looking up MX records and performing
final delivery.  It is, in fact, acting like the large majority of
MUAs today (certainly any graphical email client) and using the
SMTP protocol to submit email into the email system.  This is a
recognized and standardized method of injecting email into the
network, and there is absolutely no reason for nmh to not support it.