Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: Diffs for replacing mktemp() usage

2010-02-03 18:10:16
Earl Hood wrote:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Sean Kamath wrote:

Frankly, people who run tmp cleaners that are that braindead probably
deserve what they get.

Are we to worry about braindead temp cleaners?  I.e. I'm
sure other apps would have problems with braindead
cleaners, so should we waste resources dealing with
a problem that is not worth addressing?

That was kinda my point.  I don't think we should worry about braindead
tmp cleaners.

Regardless, moving them to a configurable tmp
location is not a bad idea -- but I don't want to hit my NFS mounted
home dir every time I make a tmp file.  So I'd make /var/tmp/<user> or
/tmp/<user> and point to that.

I'm unsure if real-time performance is super critical
with nmh.  If going with /var/tmp/<user>, you still
do not completely avoid braindead cleaners since you are
still working under the system tmp directory.

For a while I ran a site with hundreds of users that all used nmh.  I've
since moved on, but still prefer to not waste bandwidth when I don't
have to.

My real point was that it should be configurable, which you've done.
Slightly odd to make it an env variable than an nmh setting in
.mh_profile, but whatever.

Sean

--
Sent from the 1st Circle