Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs

2010-11-02 15:38:22
[2010-11-01 20:57] "Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)"
<lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca>
The "JLR" question prompted me to take a quick scan through the code
base.  A lot of the conditional compilation is leftover from the pre-
or early-POSIX days (e.g.  string and network related functions that
are now standardized), SMTP client hacks that are no longer
applicable, and support for obsolete features (e.g.  KPOP).

At the least I think it's worthwhile to make a pass through the
source, eliminating the HAVE_* conditionals that are no longer
necessary in the age of ANSI/POSIX.  It's also long overdue to clean
up the SMTP client code to bring it into line with the current port
587 submission regime.  Between the two I think we can get most of the
way towards no longer depending on autoconf, which would be a big win
for those of us building the code on lighter-weight hardware and OSes.

While reading much nmh code these days, I also feel that parts of the
code are ancient. I'd like to support any effort in renewing it.

Autoconf is something I dislike.

I have the tuits to do this, as it relates to a work project for which
I'll have to do it anyway.  Game?

(Could you explain ``having the tuits'', please.)

meillo