Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs

2010-11-03 20:58:27
Ken Hornstein wrote:
In my view, there are two reasons for autoconf:

- Portability tests (all of those tests that make up the bulk of time it takes
 autoconf to run).
- Selecting things like which compiler to use, features to build, install
 location, etc etc

If the goal is to remove all of the reasons for the portability tests in
autoconf, hey, that's great.  Fully support that 100%.  I'm not sure that
will be possible in practice, but there's no reason we can't try.

Yep. We can do this incrementally too, so we can do the stuff that really
doesn't need to have autoconfery and ifdefs and leave the tricky stuff
til later (for instance I think you're going to have a hard time getting
rid of the gdbm probing, because there really are modern systems out
there which put the db libraries and headers in different places).

-- PMM