Re: [Nmh-workers] cleaning out the cobwebs

2010-11-03 13:44:42
Wow.  Glad to see that there are still people interested in nmh out there.
I'm going to try to respond to a whole pile of messages at once rather than
flooding you with messages.

Autoconf:  As long as we stick to simple usage it's fine.  In general, I find
that the way that autoconf works, requiring heavily ifdef'd code, makes code
pretty unreadable.  But usage is generally understood for just getting things
to build.

Comatibility:  I am fine with removing code that makes nmh run on VAXs, PDP-11s,
Apollo workstations, and other obsolete systems.  I'm fine if it doesn't run on
RSX-11 or GECOS and so on.  Anybody who is still using such systems can get by
(in my opinion) with using the current version of nmh.  So let's figure out
what's
really important.  To me, that's Linux.  I don't know is nmh gets enough usage
on
Apple or Microsoft systems to be worth any special effort.  Don't think that it
needs to work on Android or Chrome or iOS either.  But, that's my opinion.  Can
we come to a concensus on the important target systems?

MIME Support:  Glad to see that someone is awake out there.  I understand the
desired to have scan stay out of message bodies.  But, wen you look at it, MIME
essentially put headers in message bodies.  So I think that scan should be able
to look at 'em.  As I said in my earlier post, that would be an option; old scan
behavior would still be available.  I don't have any trouble with an additional
piece of state to handle this.  I do agree with the sentiment to better
integrate
MIME so that it's not the add-on that it was.  So let's try to reach a concensus
on what to do before anybody gets to work.

Code Base:  Please, if your're working on becoming familiar with the code base
put in comments as you go.  If everyone helps to figure out what it does it'll
be easier to make changes later.

I'm heading out of town for a week so won't be answering much email.

Jon