Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal)

2010-12-03 12:39:05
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well, since you asked, I am still using MH 6.8.4 on Solaris, often with
exmh.  I'm also running vintage MMDF as my MTA :-).

Hey John, cool to see you're still around!  Hadn't seen anything from
you in forever, so I thought you had gone off to bigger and better
things.

I'm still at UC Irvine, in the School of Engineering since 1999. Lately I'm
doing a lot of web applications in PHP and websites in Drupal.

However, I'm also using Gmail, particularly because of its threading and
spam-rejection, and also because people mail me documents so often
(and Gmail provides a good in-browser preview).

Just for my own curiousity (and having a better desire to understand how
people use MH/nmh), how exactly does this work?  Do you preview email via
the Gmail web interface and then suck it down via MH?  What tools do you
use to do that, since I'm not sure that stock MH 6.8.4 can do that out
of the box?

My UCI mail goes to MH first (maildelivery hooks copy the mail to an
archive file, and filter mailing list messages into various folders).
If I get an attachment that I can't handle easily on Solaris, I dist the
message to my Gmail account.  (Before Gmail, I was dist'ing to another
mailbox that I POP'd with Thunderbird on a Windows PC.)  I haven't found
a dist command in Gmail or Thunderbird; if you know of one, let me know.

The biggest change for me personally is using a Windows laptop.  If
I'm not at my Solaris desktop, displaying non-text content (over my
putty/ssh connection) is more challenging.  When I get mailed a
URL, I have to cut/paste it into Firefox (on the laptop).  I sometimes
use NX (nomachine.com) or Cygwin-X, but its often easier to just view
the content directly on the laptop.  Gmail (or Thunderbird) makes clicking
on URLs trivial.

I've started using Gmail as my primary mailbox for my LA Drupal-related
mail, since it doesn't need to be stored on my UCI server and the spam-
rejection is more necessary.

John