Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]

2010-12-07 15:18:27

On Dec 7, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

You know .... I'm all for backwards compatibility and everything, but
I'm wondering ... did the previous behavior actually make sense?  Can
people argue that it was desirable or correct?  Or was the previous
behavior actually wrong, and this is really fixing a long-standing
bug?

It was a bug.  The only suggesting that it wasn't a bug is instead saying
that it was `illegal' (which it wasn't... it just usually was a bad idea).

nmh was used so infrequently in places that aren't 7-bit clean that none
of the people who noticed complained; they just binned it with the
host of non-i18n'd software and moved on.  This is generalizing a bit
from a small sample, but I'd be even more astonished than if we found
more than a dozen people who use mh exclusively for all their email. ;)

*Chad