Re: [Nmh-workers] IMAP server that can speak MN folders

2012-01-02 09:33:07
Over the holidays, I replaced my 15-year old mail server (two hardware
generations, three / disks, upgraded from NetBSD 0.9...) with a new
install based upon Postfix and Cyrus.  But, I think I made the wrong
choice in Cyrus.  I should have gone for another IMAP daemon, one that
stores in either Maildir or better MH.

Right, I think you're going to have a tough time with Cyrus doing that.

What I'd like to do is to have my archives, which are in MH, available
via IMAP.  My wife uses mutt, but would like her archives (in mbox
format) available via IMAP.

If you remember this thread from last month:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2011-12/msg00008.html

Paul Vixie made what I consider to be a convincing argument that Maildir
support for MH folders is doable and if we get THAT working, you could
simply share those folders with a capable IMAP server (which seems to
be Dovecot).  Paul has also been saying, "Hey, people, why don't you
get your shit together and put most of the MH functionality in a shared
library so this sort of thing is easier?".  Hopefully I can chew on that
this month.

As I understand it UW-IMAP handles MH folders natively.  I hate to
spread FUD, but I vaguely remember there were some issues with that.
Huh, and I just see a messages from Marc Crispin in 2010 saying that
UW-IMAP is a dead project?  So if I were you, I'd see about maybe trying
to switch to Dovecot if that is possible.