Re: [Nmh-workers] Debian

2012-01-07 21:16:44
On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:00:12 PST, Bill Wohler writes:
Jeffrey Honig <jch(_at_)honig(_dot_)net> writes:

I'm thinking we should look into providing a repo with our own debs
that will run on both Debian and derivatives to increase the
availability of the latest code.

<hat on, debian developer for exmh etc.>
please don't. dealing with custom/halfbaked packages makes a packager's work
a lot harder and annoying: as upstream you're supposed to be the expert on
how to make the software work well. leaving the (occasionally messy)
integration
work to the integration expert minimizes the duplication of effort.
</hat>

As long as Debian maintainers update their packages in a timely manner,
and by and large, they do, I think that's more work than it's worth.

i've just created a wishlist bug (http://bugs.debian.org/655047) asking
for the new version to be packaged.

And if we configure our nmh .deb differently from the way Nick does it,
we'd be doing our users a disservice.

indeed - and if nick can't find the time to update nmh, then there's surely
other debian developers who can step in.

regards
az

--
+ Alexander Zangerl + GnuPG Keys 0x42BD645D or 0x5B586291
+ http://snafu.priv.at/