Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements

2012-01-30 06:21:54
Hi Aleksander,

I still use mail(1) for sending one-line emails or in pipes.

More imporant (for me) is the possibility to send only file(s) as
attachements.

echo Enclosed | nail -a some.file someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)net

Similar functionality has mutt, switch -a. I can't do it via nmh.

whatnow(1) has the `attach' command and friends, but I agree, not as
easy.  It's perhaps something mhmail(1) should grow.

Also composing message with attachment is not very easy. For me some
form of -a switch in comp and repl is missing.

Yes, that would be good too.  Perhaps if one does a repl, sits in vi,
realises one wants to attach, exits and quits at whatnow, one could then
do `comp -use -attach foo' to be sitting back in vi with the old,
half-written, draft with an attachment tacked on.

Use of mail client from different subsystem is not convenient, e.g. I
can't use .mh_aliases.

Yeah, there's ali(1) but getting its output into a suitable form for
parameters to mail...

It's provided here by the heirloom-mailx package, derived from
Berkeley Mail 8.1 but brought up to date.  A concise list of
features, http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/mailx.html

It depends on package. Sometimes it is installed as nail and -a means
attachchment, sometimes is installed as mailx and because of backward
compatibility -a has different meaning. Then heilroom-mailx looses its
most important feature.

Or sometimes, like Ubuntu 10.10 here, it's packaged as heirloom-mailx,
alternatives selects it,

    $ readlink -e /usr/bin/mail
    /usr/bin/heirloom-mailx

and it supports -a.

    $ man mail | sed '/^ *-a /p; 1,//d; /^$/Q'
           -a file
                  Attach the given file to the message.
    $ mail -a /etc/passwd ralph </dev/null
    No message, no subject; hope that's ok