Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements

2012-01-30 10:30:55
bergman(_at_)merctech(_dot_)com wrote:
In the message dated: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:48:55 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Aleksander Matuszak on
<Re: [Nmh-workers] mailxi and attachements> were:
=> Ralph Corderoy writes:
=>
=> > Hi,
=> >
=> > I still use mail(1) for sending one-line emails or in pipes.

Yes, me too.

i use it in scripts, but not interactively.  i might, if it
shared .mh_aliases.

=>
=> More imporant (for me) is the possibility to send only file(s) as
=> attachements.

Certainly possible with nmh, but not the easiest thing when interactively
composing a message.

i use the attached script, called "forward", to bridge the interactive
use gap.  it looks at your request, and its content, and generates
appropriate mhbuild syntax.

from within vi, i might use:
    !!forward foo.jpg    (or ":r !forward foo.jpg")
which would result in the draft in my edit buffer containing:
    #image/jpeg; name="foo.jpg" [ - ] foo.jpg

likewise,
    !!forward last:3
results in:
    #forw [ - ] +mh 177 178 179
(the foldername and message numbers are expanded to "absolute"
values so that if i run more mh commands before sending this draft,
the attachments are still what i first expected them to be.)

i can guarantee there are corner cases my script doesn't handle, and
obvious optimizations to be made.  my mh wrappers and add-ons have all
grown organically over time -- none were the result of a "design", and
most deserve a rewrite.

paul