Re: [Nmh-workers] Is Pick Antiquated?

2012-02-04 11:56:38
Hi Joel,

I'm not sure if I was starting now I'd have pick(1).  If mark(1)
took an expression then it alters the sequence/set.  scan with a
format does pick's -list of the message numbers.

Having other nmh command understand pick syntax might be uesful. But
removing pick would not be. Because message numbers are also
filenames, pick is handy for generating lists of filenames to be
consumed by other non-nmh programs.

Sorry, my last paragraph was unclear.  I mean if mark and scan took
pick's grammar then they'd do pick's two functions.  The list of
filenames (as opposed to pathnames from mhpath) would be from scan, as
you can do now:

    $ pick last:3
    3 hits
    $ scan -forma '%(msg)' lp
    6405
    6406
    6407
    $

I agree removing pick wouldn't be good, no point breaking the scripts
that use it, but it's behaviour would be duplicated elsewhere.

Cheers, Ralph.