Re: [Nmh-workers] Is Pick Antiquated?

2012-02-05 13:48:47
Thus spake paul vixie:

On 2/4/2012 5:47 PM, Joel Uckelman wrote:
Having other nmh command understand pick syntax might be uesful. But
removing pick would not be. Because message numbers are also filenames,
pick is handy for generating lists of filenames to be consumed by other
non-nmh programs.

this draws two comments from me. first, message numbers are relative
file names. i always use mhpath.

I'm a little embarassed to say that I didn't know about mhpath---I'd
been using pick from the same directory as the message files, or using
sed to build the paths for me. Thanks!

second, message numbers are currently file names. if we succeed in
abstracting things correctly, they might refer to imap objects some day.
in which case i suppose that mhpath will emit imap: url's?

Having IMAP URLs would mean that we interoperate with IMAP, which would
make me so happy that I would not mind having pick return them.

--
J.