Re: [Nmh-workers] I need help configuring nmh 1.4

2012-02-17 08:45:14
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
      norm: loses; [USER] 550 5.1.1 <norm>... User unknown
    post: 1 addressee undeliverable send: message not delivered to anyone

So, I'm wondering ... previous version of nmh worked fine, is that
right?

I'm very sorry. I was unclear. As far as I know, the problem probably has little
to do with the upgrade. I recently installed Linux on the computer in question
(It previously ran Microsoft Windows), so I installed the latest version, 1.4,
of nmh on it. I have had similar problems with nmh 1.2 and nmh 1,3. I haven't
been able to send purely local mail -- mail which never leaves my computer.

But when I installed vanilla nmh 1.4, lo and behold the problem disappeared,
only
to rear its old ugly head when I changed /usr/local/nmh/etc/mts.conf.

What version did you have previously? If you still have that old version of nmh
around, what does it say when you say "send -snoop"?

I'm reading your bounce email ... and I'm puzzled as to how upgrading to nmh
1.4 fixed this problem. I mean, it was complaining that you didn't have a
reverse DNS entry; how did upgrading nmh fix that? Or is it that you changed
your nmh configuration to always submit via SMTP to your ISP instead of a local
sendmail instance?

This gets into a more complicated issue ... should nmh fully canonicalize
addresses on the "To:" line? Is that a server-side policy?

It occurs to me that a simple solution would be to put an alias for "norm" to
"norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org".

Yes, but then the mail would not be processed purely locally, which I would like
to do for certain purposes, but getting the time stamps etc that post/sendmail
provide.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109