Re: [Nmh-workers] I need help configuring nmh 1.4

2012-02-17 09:38:34
As a side note ... Norm, when I try to reply to your message, I get
the following warning from repl:

repl: bad addresses:
        nmh-workers(_at_)nongnu(_dot_)org norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org -- junk after
local@domain (norm)
        nmh-workers(_at_)nongnu(_dot_)org norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org -- junk after
local@domain (norm)

This happens because you have multiple cc: headers ... and according
to the relevant RFCs, that isn't actually permitted (RFC 5322 says
you can only have one).  Obviously you can have multiple addresses
in one cc: header, and yours is the only case where I've personally
seen email with multiple cc: headers.  I'm not sure if we should
deal with this better or not ... it might require some work.

But when I installed vanilla nmh 1.4, lo and behold the problem
disappeared, only to rear its old ugly head when I changed
/usr/local/nmh/etc/mts.conf.

So ... it sounds like nmh can't do what you want (whether or not
it should be able to do that is a different question; I'll let
others tackle that).

nmh only has the ability to send email to one location, and that setting
is global for all recipients.  So you have the choice of submitting to
your local SMTP server (which handles local email okay, but since you
don't have a reverse DNS entry it gets rejected by spam filters), or
to your ISP's SMTP servers which doesn't do what you want in terms of
local email.

I think to make it do exactly what you want you'll have to modify your
sendmail/postfix/whatever-mta configuration to deliver "local" email locally
and then punt all other email to your ISPs SMTP server.  That, however,
is beyond the scope of nmh :-)

Or ... could you just use Fcc:?  I mean, if you want a local copy with
a Date: header and all, that would do it.