Re: [Nmh-workers] [exmh-users] [exmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.5 is now available

2012-05-06 19:52:25

On 6 May 2012 at 20:19, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>wrote:

But, once I get around the installation issue, why does 'inc'
need special group ownership and SGID treatment?  Would that
reason be related to the 'inc' in Fedora's build of nmh-1.4
asking me for a password when I want to 'inc' my email?

Those things are unrelated.

The issue is that "inc" wants to lock the mail spool file.  On
some systems that requires that it be able to create a lock
file in the spool directory, which may require being setgid to
the "mail" group.

As for asking for a password ... that sounds like inc is trying
to retrieve email via POP.  Unless they're doing something else
strange.

That "POP" reference and 'man inc' helped me find the problem.
I have MAILHOST defined in my environment. nmh now interprets
MAILHOST as a POP host and wants to login.  Undefining MAILHOST
got rid of my last nmh 1.5 RC2 issue.

Yahoo!  Big THANKS Ken!

--
Kevin