Re: [Nmh-workers] [exmh-workers] Second release candidate for nmh 1.5 is now available

2012-05-07 08:34:30

On 6 May 2012 at 14:23, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

I am pleased to announce to second release candidate (RC2) of nmh 1.5 is
now available.  You can find it for download here:

    http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.5-RC2.tar.gz

I'm building and packaging this.  This part of the 'make install'

  chgrp mail /buildroot/nmh-1.5-1kc_0tek_RC2_fc16.x86_64/usr/bin/inc && \
  chmod 2755 /buildroot/nmh-1.5-1kc_0tek_RC2_fc16.x86_64/usr/bin/inc; \

requires the builder to belong to the "mail", which won't be the case
when I try to install this on my computer at work.

In my own packaging I'm using this in the %files section of the RPM
spec file:

  %{attr(2755,root,mail,-) %{_bindir}/inc

That eases the situation some, as I actually specify the user and
group as variables in my ~/.rpmrc, allowing different machines
to define it as needed.  That takes care of my installations at
work.

But, once I get around the installation issue, why does 'inc'
need special group ownership and SGID treatment?  Would that
reason be related to the 'inc' in Fedora's build of nmh-1.4
asking me for a password when I want to 'inc' my email?

FWIW, Fedora has undone the special treatment of the 'inc' file.

For the time being I'm trying to maintain the nmh Makefile
treatment of 'inc' to see how RC2 does.

Thanks....

P.S.:   Propagate to the nmh emailing lists as you see fit.
        I'm not a member of those lists.

--
Kevin