Re: [Nmh-workers] charset conversions

2012-05-11 12:33:36
i've finally gotten my workspaces set up so that i think i'm fully UTF-8
compatible in xterm, less, vile, etc.

i just got mail from someone that included an accented 'a', and it
didn't display correctly.  some notes on my experience:

Hm, I thought we did better ... but we don't, do we?  I guess even inside
of mhshow we just dump the characters out after we've decoded them.  If
someone sends you something in UTF-8, you're fine ... but otherwise you
just get 💩.

first, adding the line:
   mhshow-charset-iso-8859-1: %s |
          /tmp/iconvwrap /usr/bin/iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8
to my mh profile fixed this, after some experimentation.  is there
a better way?

I don't think so right now.  We already link with iconv so we can
decode RFC-2047 headers ... it occurs to me that if we have iconv
available we should use it in mhshow (in the absence of a mhshow-charset
entry).  I think the mhshow-charset lines are a bit of a relic since
that was all that was available before iconv was popular.