Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!

2012-05-25 10:48:17
Ralph Corderoy <ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
Hi Norm,

The Email you analyzied was not sent from the computer suffering the
bouncing problem.

But this Email will be so sent.

Do you have trouble following the Received headers, bottom to top?  :-)

You passed it to Postfix on your localhost.  Postfix then passed it to
mailwash26.pair.com in order to reach me.  pair added the top `received'
header and said it was speaking to 198.144.207.170 but couldn't resolve
that to a PTR record, therefore `unknown'.

Sure enough,

$ host 198.144.207.170
Host 170.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$

That's from a block owned by Raw Bandwidth Communications.

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-198-144-192-0-1

Not many of them have reverse PTRs.

$ seq 1 254 |
while read a; do
    printf "%3d " $a
    dig +short @ns.tsoft.net. $a.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa ptr
    echo
done |

awk 'NF > 1'
1 sjbel-gw.rawbw.net.
2 belsj-gw.rawbw.net.
9 tsoftgw-providenet.tsoft.net.
10 providenetgw.tsoft.net.
29 tsoftgw-specfib.tsoft.net.
30 specfibgw.tsoft.net.
81 81.net80.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa.
82 82.net80.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa.
97 widewebgw.wideweb.com.
98 server.wideweb.com.
99 studio.wideweb.com.
100 notebook.wideweb.com.
101 studio2.wideweb.com.
105 www.webskulker.com.
106 www.excessmaterials.com.
129 border1.wc1.specialtyfibres.com.
130 airlock.specialtyfibres.com.
133 cerberus-u.specialtyfibres.com.
134 e3-core1.wc1.specialtyfibres.com.
162 mail.aclunc.org.
163 webmail.aclunc.org.
$

You need to ask your contacts "there" how to always have a PTR for your IP
address, currently 198.144.207.170.

Are you saying that, the contact, martin(_at_)eipye(_dot_)com, mail to whom
bounces, should
do something special?  He would have no more idea of what a PTR is than I do.

 It's not a good idea to run a mail server from a machine

I don't do any such thing. I would not attempt it anymore than I would try to
climb mount Everest.

without one these days which is why, once again, I'd have thought you should
be using your ISPs smarthost to send mail to others on your behalf.

I don't know what a smarthost is. All I do. by way sending mail, is whatever the
nmh defaults are, except that .mh_profile has the line:

       postproc: /usr/local/nmh/lib/post

    Norman Shapiro