Re: [Nmh-workers] Exit status when argument is -version

2012-06-06 11:59:34

On 2012-06-06, at 9:39 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

AFAICT ... it's always been that way.  We didn't have -version back in
MH-6.8.5, but at least as far as our sources go back (1999) -version has
always exited with an exit code of 1.

Should it?  I dunno ... what do people think?

The current behaviour is just plain wrong.  At the very least it violates the
POLA.

It should return 0 if it succeeds in printing the version.  This allows for
things like 'scan -version >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo MH not found' as a quick and
cheap test to see if MH is in the user's $PATH.