Re: [Nmh-workers] Exit status when argument is -version

2012-06-06 12:42:03
I'm all for post-1.5, unless it's going to be years from now.
Is there a roadmap as to what comes out next?

Well ... no.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I've just been making it
up as I go along.  I have some vague plans in my head.  Specifically what
I was thinking was for 1.6 was:

- Better MIME handling.  We now have replyfilter, which in my mind solves
  one of the biggest problems we've had for years.  But our MIME handling
  still isn't great.  Specific thoughts:
- Default encoding of MIME messages on sending.  Right now if you want to
  put a character like ★ in your message you have to remember to run
  mhbuild, otherwise you're sending out non-compliant messages.  Paul Fox
  already contributed some code that's the start of that.
- Selection of content-transfer-encoding types used to encode different
  content types.
- RFC 2047 encoding of message headers
- Handling of multibyte characters properly in mh-format (to make scan output
  work properly when you're using UTF-8; it sorta works now, but it could
  be better).
- Merging mhshow into show.
- Better handling of content-disposition MIME headers (don't display
  content marked as attachment by default).

Cajoling/shaming/bribing Paul Vixie and Lyndon Nerenberg to possibly design
a replacement for m_getfld() is also on the list, but not maybe for 1.6.
Let's call that a “stretch goal”.

When will it come out?  Don't know.  When someone wants to release it,
I guess.  That may be me, it may be someone else.  My summer is shaping
up to be busy, so I doubt I'll be doing a nmh release this summer, but
certainly anyone else should feel free.