Re: [Nmh-workers] new nmh broken?

2012-07-18 12:38:27
Ken Hornstein writes:
A more user-friendly diagnostic might be:

    Your components files are not compatible with this version of nmh.
    You have modified them so we were unable to automatically update them.
    You need to go to /etc/nmh and merge in the changes to the components,
    forwcomps, replcomps, and replgroupcomps files.  If you're in a hurry
    you can add a From: header to this message so that it can be sent.

Noted.  Although I think this message would have been longer than every
other nmh error message combined :-)  Not that there's anything wrong
with that.  I guess I was hoping the part about the missing From header
and checking the components files would be enough.

--Ken

Well, I agree that it's long, but this isn't a transient error, it's an
upgrade issue and that's a place where at least one person (me) doesn't
expect things to break.  So giving explicit instructions seems OK to me
even if they're long.  Again, you have to keep in mind that a lot of
people automatically update their systems to keep 'em current and do so
without paying a lot of attention so it's a surprise when things stop
working.  Y'all worked pretty hard to get this release out (thanks!) and
were building it from source and probably didn't think about the non-involved
user.

Jon