Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore overwriting files

2012-09-11 07:47:34
Norm wrote:

Assuming that the simpler it is the more likely it is got done
before I die, (I was born in 1932 :-)), I vote against the suffix,
but just not overwriting.

It's not that much more trouble to support a suffix.
I don't have a strong feeling either way.

Also, I would not require surveying before writing any files. That
is, files which would not be overwritten would be written, with a
"continuing" error message for files which were not written. Yes,
surveying first would be better, bet getting it done, is more
important than perfection.

I looked quickly at the mhstore code last night and
see where to insert the hook for this.  That was the hard
part.

Any suggestions on adding this?

  -clobber [ask|suffix|never|always]

"always" is the current behavior, and might be the most
useful in scripts.  But I don't think that it should remain
the default.

"never" might be a bad idea?  Or the exit status could be
a count of files that were not overwritten.

I'd use "ask".

David