Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore overwriting files

2012-09-11 08:01:32
rader(_at_)hep(_dot_)wisc(_dot_)edu wrote:

 > I looked quickly at the mhstore code last night and
 > see where to insert the hook for this.  That was the hard
 > part.
 >
 > Any suggestions on adding this?
 >
 >   -clobber [ask|suffix|never|always]
 >
 > "always" is the current behavior, and might be the most
 > useful in scripts.  But I don't think that it should remain
 > the default.
 >
 > "never" might be a bad idea?  Or the exit status could be
 > a count of files that were not overwritten.
 >
 > I'd use "ask".

what would "-clobber suffix" do?
(haven't been following this thread closely.)

"-clobber auto" please!?
incremented file names
like Firefox download does
"fu.gif" -> fu.gif fu(1).gif etc

oh, nice.  that would be much better than the wget behavior:
    fu.tar
    fu.tar.1
    fu.tar.2

the result of that behavior is that if you don't realize it happened,
shell auto-completion doesn't help clue you in -- either because the
filename looks complete, so you don't hit tab, or because the
completion is "smart", and "knows" that tar can only deal with the
first of those filenames, so it doesn't give them as choices.

paul

steve