Re: [Nmh-workers] The attach feature

2012-09-11 08:01:55
I don't remember all the places I looked and things I tried, nor do I remember
the order in which I did them. But here are some of the things I tried:

      man attach
      man -k attach
      man whatnow (It told me the feature existed, but not much more)
      man nmh (to see if there was a relevant man page)
      man send (lots of hits for "attach" but nothing about the attach
command)

So I guess this is partially the fault of the way nmh works; whatnow does
some things (and implements the "attach" command) but the real mechanics
are handled by "send".  Sure, once you KNOW that what attach does is add
a special header, the information in the send man page makes more sense.

In my humble (but correct :-) opinion there should be an attach
man page. It would, at the very least give the basic idea, (attach
generates certain headers which send understands), the syntax of the
command, and pointers to other man pages.

See, I'm not so sure about that.  It's not a new command that happens
at the shell prompt; I think more information about it belongs in the
whatnow man page.  I know there's a man page for "send", but that's because
it's a command.

But I do appreciate the feedback; let me offer a counter-suggestion.  How
about some expansion of the "attach" command in whatnow(1) and a pointer
to send(1), and a back-pointer in send(1) to whatnow(1).  And maybe
some clarification in send(1) as well.