Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore overwriting files

2012-09-11 06:35:38
David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> writes:
Norm wrote:

I wonder if mhstore could have an option to not overwrite any files?
If the option were given, then trying to do so would be an error.

Ralph submitted a enhancement request for this almost
8 years ago:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?11160

We haven't gotten to it yet :-)

And he suggesting adding a suffix, like wget(1), instead of
failing.  wget disables that with --no-clobber.  Maybe the
mhstore option should allow selection of the desired
behavior.

Assuming that the simpler it is the more likely it is got done before I die, (I
was born in 1932 :-)), I vote against the suffix, but just not overwriting.

Also, I would not require surveying before writing any files. That is, files
which would not be overwritten would be written, with a "continuing" error
message for files which were not written. Yes, surveying first would be better,
bet getting it done, is more important than perfection.

    Norman Shapiro