Re: [Nmh-workers] When send does not recognize a mime type

2012-09-11 11:10:08
Ken Hornstein writes:
I guess I kinda believe the opposite. For example send won't send a
message if it doesn't understand any of the addressees. I think that's
a good thing. The general philosophy of mh was (contrary to the UNIX
philosophy) that if anything is wrong do nothing. For various reasons
some commands (for example, sortm -- with good reason) ,violate that
rule, but at least it's a goal.

Here's my problem with that ... is an "unknown" file suffix "something
wrong"?  Or does it really mean "send as generic binary data"?
Everybody should be able to at least save application/octet-stream
to their local filesystem and can then do whatever they want with
it.  Also, I'm wondering what other mail programs do when they're
asked to send MIME content with an unrecognized file extension; it
might be worthwhile to understand what the expected behavior is here.

--Ken

I agree with Ken here.  There is nothing wrong with unknown file types.
That's covered by the RFCs.