Re: [Nmh-workers] When send does not recognize a mime type

2012-09-11 11:59:00

On 2012-09-11, at 6:13 AM, David Levine wrote:

What to do with a file without an extension (.) in
its name?  Or not consider that an error?

What we really ought to do is derive the MIME type from the file contents.  I
realize this means bundling an implementation of magic, but I think it's worth
the price.  There are several license-compatible implementations out there that
could be used as a starting point.

As for outright failure for unrecognized types, this really violates POLA.  If
something is labeled application/octet-stream, at worst it means the content
might not receive some automated processing by the receiving client.  While
annoying, perhaps, it's far from fatal.

--lyndon