[Nmh-workers] General attachment stuff

2012-09-13 11:35:55
OK, gonna try to answer some questions quickly here.  Real work is keeping me
pretty busy these days.

1.  The attachment stuff all goes through the shell.  See uip/whatnowsbr.c.
    I am not really happy with this approach, but it seemed expedient at the
    time.  Would love to see something more robust, but that's a ton of work
    for not enough gain (for me).

2.  The whole idea behind X-MH-Attachment (now something else) is to be
    completely transparent and to provide a way to communicate data between
    different independent programs.  The idea was that any program could put
    in these headers, and that they'd be removed by send so that the recipient
    sees the message without the internal goo.

3.  Because of this, I think that it's a bug to leave any attachment headers
    in the outgoing message.

4.  Also, it seems to be a bug to generate an error when there is an empty
    attachment header.  It should just be stripped.  The whatnow code shouldn't
    make any of these, but it's probably a good idea to test for it in send
    since attachment headers can be added by other programs.

5.  Attaching directories sounds like a bug to me.  This should probably be
    checked in send because send has to check to make sure that the attachment
    files can be found.

Hope that this helps.

Jon