Re: [Nmh-workers] I'm confused

2012-09-14 15:16:05
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
what's happening is

   execve("/bin/sh",
       ["sh", "-c", "$SHELL -c \" cd /tmp;ls `seq 1 5`\""], ...) = 0

Yeah, I was actually thinking to myself when looking at that code, "Hey,
doesn't our popen() use sh -c?"

I look at this and I can't help thinking that's the wrong answer; getting
shell quoting is hard enough, but having to double-quote it?  That just
seems like a mistake to me.  Also, depending on "ls"output to get a list
of files seems like that's fraught with problems as well.  I suspect that's
why Norm is getting a blank Nmh-Attachment header; there's a blank line
being output somewhere by his version of ls.

My ls is the /bin/ls that comes with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3. But sure,
whatnow has no way knowing what the 'ls' in the user's $PATH might do.

I don't know that whatnow's attach ever gave me a blank Nmh-Attachment header.
What you are probably referring to was my request that send silently remove any
such headers. I asked for that so that users could put them in their templates
be filled in, or left blank at composition time.

    Norman Shapiro